SKC Passive Sampling Guide
SKC passive samplers are ready to use and provide a reliable and economical method
for air sampling. Available for personal and area sampling, SKC offers samplers
for a wide variety of chemical hazards to meet OSHA, NIOSH, and ASTM International
methods. Use the information below to select a passive sampler that fits your
Validation for Compliance Sampling
Due to design, passive (diffusive) samplers require extensive testing to ensure
sample validity. Passive samplers can be validated to different protocols including
OSHA, NIOSH, ANSI, and ASTM International.
SKC offers passive samplers for many OSHA Methods including: Benzene, MEK,
Formaldehyde, Hydrogen Cyanide, Mercury, and more!
Passive Samplers for Long-term Sampling
Some SKC passive samplers have been validated for long-term sampling. See the
Environmental Sampling Guide.
Passive Samplers for VOCs
For VOCs listed in EPA Method TO-17, see passive sampler entries in the Environmental
SKC Validation of 575 Series Passive (Diffusive) Samplers
SKC has validated its 575 Series Passive Samplers for organic vapors to the rigorous NIOSH and ANSI testing protocols. SKC validations include the following:
- Full - Passed all tests in NIOSH validation protocol and factorial study, including interfering compounds; most rigorous test; includes all parameters affecting sampling accuracy.
- Bi-level - A key member of a homologous chemical series passed Full validation, all others passed Partial. Other members of the series passed partial validation to achieve same level of accuracy as shown by Guild et al. Validity shown by Guild et al (reference available).
- Partial - Passed NIOSH protocol for sampling rate, desorption efficiency, and storage stability.
- Calculated - Uptake Rate = D x (A/L). “D” is a diffusion coefficient calculated from the Hirschfelder Equation. “A/L” is a constant based on the geometry of the sampler.
Chemical Hazards by First Letter
| A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Custom Passive Samplers Available
For specific applications, SKC will manufacture filters to meet your specific
requirements. Download the Custom Filter Order Form in PDF format. Complete the
form and fax it to your SKC representative or
contact your SKC representative or call the
SKC Sales Department at 724-941-9701 for more information.
Custom Passive Sampler Order Form (PDF Format)
- Cassinelli, M.E., Hull, R.D., Crable, J.V. and Teass, A.W., "Diffusive
Sampling: An Alternative to Workplace Air Monitoring," A. Berlin, R.H. Brown
and K.J. Saunders (Royal Society of Chemistry, London) (eds.), NIOSH Protocol
for the Evaluation of Passive Monitors, 1987, pp 190-202.
- Guild, L.V., Myrmel, K.H., Myers, G. and Dietrich, D.F., "Bi-Level Passive
Monitor Validation: A Reliable Way of Assuring Sampling Accuracy for a Larger
Number of Related Chemical Hazards" Appl. Occup. Environ. Hyg., Vol
7, No. 5, May 1992, pp. 310-317. Copies available from SKC.
This SKC Air Sampling Guide is a reference only to assist users in finding the method, sampling equipment, and sampling media for a specific compound. This publication is intended for general information only and should not be used as a substitute for reviewing applicable government regulations, equipment operating instructions, or legal standards. Users must consult the appropriate sampling method for the compound of interest before sampling. The sampling parameters shown here are suggestions based on the ranges or volume, flow, and time specified in the methods. It is the responsibility of the analyst performing the sampling and analysis steps to adjust the parameters so that the required detection limits can be obtained. The information contained in this document should not be construed as legal advice or opinion nor as a final authority on legal or regulatory procedures. CAS Registry Number is a Registered Trademark of the American Chemical Society.